Senior Enrichment Center
It is the goal of the Spring Lake Senior Enrichment center to create an atmosphere that acknowledges the value of human life, individually and collectively, and affirms the dignity and self-worth of senior adults. Its philosophy is based on the premises that aging is a normal developmental process; that human beings need peers with whom they can interact and who are available as a source of encouragement and support and that adults have the right to have voice in determining matters in which they have a vital interest.
"Dreams are renewable. No matter what our age or condition, there are still untapped possibilities within us and new beauty waiting to be born. "
~Dale E. Turner
The Town of Spring Lake manages the Senior Enrichment Center through the Recreation and Parks Department. The Center is located in a renovated facility adjacent to the Multipurpose Community Center down the street from Town Hall. The center is funded by the Town of Spring Lake, Mid-Carolina Area on Aging and the North Carolina General Assembly. The Center is open daily from 8:00 am until 5:00 pm and on Monday and Thursday evenings from 6:00 pm until 10:00 pm. It is occasionally open at other times for special events and some night classes.
Realizing the importance of social interaction and physical activity to the vitality of all people, the Senior Enrichment Center places special emphasis on this. Some of the social and recreational activities hosted by the Center include:
- Special Parties
- Intergenerational Programs
- Bowling League
- Senior Games
- Silver Arts-Craft and Performing Competition
- Silver Striders Walking Club
- Various Craft Programs
- Tours and Day Trips
- Exercise Classes
- Senior Club Activities, Holiday Activities, Raffles, Bingo, and much more!
- Various Craft Programs Community Outreach and Involvement
OTHER SERVICES OFFERED
The Senior Enrichment Center is committed to the welfare and well-being of our aging population. In addition to a multitude of social activities, a few of the other services offered by the Center are:
- Congregate Meals
- Health Screenings
- Nutritional Classes
- Educational Classes
- Access to Other Agencies
- Information About Services
- Income Tax Preparation Assistance
EVENTS, ACTIVITIES, PROJECTS AND ANNOUNCEMENTS
For the monthly birthday celebration: please bring a dish of your choice (i.e. vegetable, salad, meat, potato chips, drinks, rice, noodles, cake, cookies, etc.) Please call and let us know. When it is your birthday month, you do not have to bring anything. Please RSVP (seniors "55" plus.) Remember, you are missed when we do not see you!
- No announced events at this time.
- Birthday Celebrations are 2nd Friday of each month, 12 noon
- Seniors Saturday Night Social Dance (and lessons) - every second Saturday - lessons are from 6-7pm and dance is from 7-8:30 pm
- Crafts with Judy is Monday through Friday, 9:00 am - 1:00 pm
- Arthritic Exercise is Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 9:00 am and 3:00 pm
- Aerobics is Tuesdays and Thursdays, 9:00 am and 3:00 pm
- Typing Class is Mondays at 1:00 pm
- Computer Basics is Wednesdays from 1:00 pm to 2:30 pm
- Clogging (the dancing) is offered every Monday and Friday at 10:00 am
- Basket Weaving with Ms. Rose Marie is Mondays at 9:00 am
- Bridge is every Tuesday at 2:00 pm.
- Matter of Balance Class is held every Thursday at 9:00 am.
Each third (3rd) Monday at 12:00 noon at the Senior Center.
For more information on any of the above, call Doris Snider or Carmen Gaddie 497-7700
The Senior Enrichment Center falls under the guidance of the Recreation and Parks Director,Gail Elder-White. The day-to-day operations; however, are managed and led by the Senior Enrichment Center Coordinator, Doris Snider.
- Recreation and Parks Director: Gail Elder-White
- Senior Enrichment Center Coordinator: Doris Snider
- Senior Enrichment Center Admin : Carmen Gaddie
The Senior Enrichment Center can be contacted by phone, fax, mail or e-mail.
301 Ruth Street
PO Box 617
Spring Lake, NC 28390
phone: (910) 497-7700
Spring Lake Town Directory