The Sustainability Committee consists of members appointed by the Board of Aldermen to promote environmental protection, and advocate for policies which support sustainability, including environmental protection, waste reduction, recycling, energy conservation, stormwater, water quality and natural resource conservation within the Town of Spring Lake; to improve the quality of life by enhancing our efforts in these areas; to advise the Board of Aldermen on ways to improve in these areas; and, to establish mutually beneficial working relationships with town staff, other town advisory boards, local environmental and sustainability organizations and local businesses.
The committee consists of a minimum of five (5) and a maximum of seven (7) members with at least least one (1) but not more than two (2) members being owner/operator of a commercial business. All members must be residents and/or business owners/operators within the town limits of Spring Lake. Members serve staggered two (2) year terms. All members serve as volunteers.
The committee performs the following functions:
- Develop a vision of the community for achieving and maintaining sustainability in matters related to energy and the environment including water quality and stormwater.
- Develop a Sustainability Action Plan for the Town that will guide the policy of sustainability efforts.
- Annually review the Sustainability Action Plan and make recommendations for amendments based on new information and circumstances affecting these matters.
- Develop benchmarks and standards by which progress toward a sustainable community can be measured.
- Develop a program for increasing community awareness of sustainability issues through activities including outreach, education and publicity.
- To participate, in any way deemed appropriate by the Board of Aldermen, in the implementation of its plans.
- Encourage the growth of green businesses and green jobs within the Town, as well as the adoption of sustainable practices by existing businesses
- Review Town operations and facilities to identify and make recommendations to improve sustainability.
- Provide a public forum for citizen comments on sustainability issues.
- Advise the Board of Aldermen on policy matters relating to sustainability, energy, water, stormwater, and resource conservation, renewable energy, waste reduction, and public education and outreach.
- To direct the attention of Town officials to needed improvement projects.
Meetings of the Sustainabilty Committee will be held once a month in the Grady Howard Conference Room located in Town Hall. The time of the meetings will be determined by the committee.
If you live inside the city limits of Spring Lake and would like to serve on this committee, please complete an application and turn it in to the Town Clerk.
Click here to download a Sustainability Committee Application